Dish Network has rolled out the third-generation of its whole-home DVR system, Hopper 3 features, to customers nationwide. The device features a whopping 16 tuners, delivers enhanced 4K and supports up to seven TVs simultaneously.
And, Hopper 3 soon will include the Netflix app, along with integrating Netflix titles into its universal search results.
"Hopper 3 is the most advanced DVR in the world," said Vivek Khemka, DISH EVP and CTO. Dish launched the first-gen Hopper four years ago and, said Khemka, “we have continued to invest in innovation.”
Hopper 3 delivers several industry-firsts designed to change the way consumers find, record, stream and watch content, including:
- 16 tuners, making it easy for viewers to watch shows in multiple rooms, view live programs remotely via Dish Anywhere and set multiple recordings, all at the same time and without the need to manage conflicts or cancel timers.
- The ability to decode and output 4K video and comes equipped with a selection of 4K programming, including titles from Sony Pictures. 4K content from Netflix will also be coming to Hopper 3 in the near future.
- Support for up to six Joeys simultaneously, powering a total of seven TVs at one time. The DVR is compatible with the standard Joey, Wireless Joey and 4K Joey. DISH is delivering enhanced connectivity options to drive the whole-home experience, including MoCA 2.0 and Gigabit Ethernet.
- Universal search with Netflix so customers who search for a TV series will see a list that incorporates episodes from Netflix, DVR recordings, on demand options and future airings, depending on availability of each.
- And, coming soon, 4K Sports Bar Mode, a multi-channel view that divides the TV screen into quadrants, each with the ability to display a different program in HD.
Qualified new and existing customers can receive one Hopper 3 at no upfront cost. The Hopper 3 system requires a whole-home DVR fee of $15 per month and $7 per month for each Joey, including the newly available 4K Joey.
The Hopper 3 was unveiled at CES in January.
Follow me on Twitter @JimONeillMedia and on LinkedIn